Why consider teaching dual enrollment courses?

Teaching dual credit courses can be rewarding and challenging and provide both intangible and tangible benefits:

  1. You can enhance the educational experience of high school students by introducing college-level coursework.
  2. You may help your high school offer more variety and breadth of courses.
  3. You can challenge yourself to learn and teach more advanced content and gain new skills.
  4. You can provide support to many types of students including those who were already college-going as well as those who had never before considered post-secondary education.
  5. You can earn a little extra money*.

*Dual Credit faculty are considered employees of their school districts and Affiliate Faculty of Great Falls College MSU. To that end, faculty are compensated by the district for their instruction but the college pays a $500 stipend (per course**) to compensate for administrative paperwork and processes.

**Affiliate faculty are paid for each course they teach, not each section. So, if a faculty member teaches three sections of WRIT 101, they are only paid once per semester.


High School teachers who qualify may be able to teach concurrent (in the high school) dual enrollment courses.

If you’re already qualified to teach a high school class, why are there additional requirements to teach a dual credit class?

As a dual credit teacher, your students get both high school credit and college credit. Both institutions are overseen by different accrediting bodies with different requirements for their instructors. To teach dual credit, whether it’s in a high school or in a college, instructors must satisfy both accrediting bodies.

  • College professors that have high school students in their classes seeking dual credit must maintain Montana secondary educator licensure. Great Falls College MSU requires all college faculty to maintain this licensure.
  • High school instructors that have high school students seeking college credit for their classes must fulfill the minimum hiring requirements for adjunct instructors.

The minimum requirements are set by the Montana Board of Regents Policy 730. www.mus.edu/borpol/bor700/730.pdf

The qualifications for teaching Dual Enrollment are based on what kind of class you plan to teach.

  • Faculty teaching General Studies/Core/Transfer Program courses must have:
    1.  a master’s degree in the teaching field (or closely related discipline)
    2. at least nine (9) graduate-level semester credits in the content area they wish to teach

  • Faculty teaching Career & Technical (CTE) courses must have:
    1. at least three years’ experience in the occupation to be taught or an equivalent number of years of postsecondary education in the career/technical discipline
    2. work experience in the career/technical discipline.

What are General Studies/Core/Transfer Program courses?

These are courses that are designed to apply to a wide variety of degrees and commonly make up the non-major, non-elective parts of a four year degree. These courses are foundational components of a University education (4-year), and part of building academically well-rounded students. They are also found in AA and AS degrees. The somewhat generic applicability of the courses allows students to complete general coursework anywhere in the MUS and take it with them to be applied towards their Core graduation requirements at the college where they complete their degree.

Common examples of General Studies/Core/Transfer courses are:

WRIT 101: College Writing

M 121: College Algebra

COMX 115: Interpersonal Communications

PSYX 100: Intro to Psychology

What are CTE courses?

These are courses designed largely for use within a specific program at a college, usually in a one or two year program. The courses generally have an emphasis on preparing students to enter workforce with relevant and immediately-applicable workplace skills. These courses also transfer widely throughout the MSU, however one and two-year programs tend to be more individualized to campuses due to alignment with regional workforce needs, so some courses may not be part of a degree program at all campuses or in all programs. These courses are often, but not always, accepted as electives in four-year degree programs.  

Common examples of CTE courses are:

ACTG 101: Accounting Procedures

AHMS 144: Medical Terminology

CSCI 111: Programming with Java

WLDG 111: Welding Theory 1

Dual Enrollment

2100 16th Ave South
Great Falls, MT 59405

Tel: 406.268.3700
Fax: 406.771.4329