International Admission/Non-Immigrant Foreign Student Application Process

Applications received after these dates may be considered for the following term.

Application documents must be sent to the following address:

Great Falls College MSU
2100 16th Ave S
Great Falls, MT 59405 

IMPORTANT: DHL no longer delivers in the USA. DHL packets are delivered by the US postal services and take longer to arrive. Therefore, we strongly encourage not to use DHL to send your admission documents. 

Notification of Admission 

Applicants are reviewed for admission when all required final and official documents have been received. Once Great Falls College MSU processes and reviews all required documents, paperwork will be forwarded to the Office of International Admissions at MSU-Bozeman. Successful candidates will promptly be issued a letter of acceptance and an I-20 form necessary for obtaining an F-1 student visa. A packet of information regarding orientation, the registration process, and other important information will follow directly in a separate mailing.

1. Application Form and Application Fee

a) Complete the online application

Your application documents can be uploaded to the online application or you may send them to Admissions at "Great Falls College MSU."

Submit your high school transcript (if from the United States) - If not from the United States proof that your high school completion is equilavent to an American High School Diploma. Information on evaluation services here.

Submit proof of two MMR shots 

2. Evidence of Financial Support

Two documents:

a) International Student Financial Certificate: It guarantees the required minimum funds per academic year and is mandatory for each student. It must be signed by the student and the student's sponsor.

b) Bank Statement: this official document issued by the sponsor's bank shows the minimum required funds.

3. English Language Proficiency

Standard Admission English Proficiency

In order to succeed academically at the university level, students must have a good mastery of English language skills. Proficiency in English for study at the undergraduate level must be demonstrated by one of the following:

Internet-based TOEFL Test (iBT) 71
Paper-based TOEFL Test (PBT) 525
Computer-based TOEFL Test (CBT) 195
Level Completed at A.C.E. Language Institute 6C

TOEFL scores must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Services (ETS) to the MSU Office of Admissions. Official score reports can be ordered by writing to: TOEFL Score Reports, P.O. Box 6153, Princeton, NJ 08541-6153 USA or via the website at

Arrangements to take the TOEFL can be made by writing to: Educational Testing Services, Princeton, NJ 08540 USA ( Allow sufficient time for test registration procedures (about one month) and score results (one additional month). Entering the Montana State University school code (4488) on the test form will ensure that an official score report is sent directly to the Office of Admissions. 

To take the IELTS, a program jointly managed by University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL), British Council and IDP Education Australia: IELTS Australia, please go to: Students taking the IELTS will need to take the following address along with them on their test date in order to write it on the test form and have the score results sent directly to the Office of Admissions: MSU Office International Programs, 400 Culbertson Hall, Bozeman, MT 59717 USA. Please allow approximately two weeks from the test date for the score to arrive at MSU. 

4. Academic Records. In order for the GFC MSU Office of Admissions to evaluate academic qualifications and placement level:

FRESHMEN must submit official secondary transcripts posting date of completion. Official transcripts (bearing the school seal and signature) should be sent directly from the school to the College and must include an English translation. Certified true copies of original transcripts are acceptable. Any GCE A-level examination results must also be submitted and will be considered for transfer credits.

TRANSFER STUDENTS must request official transcripts from each international or U.S. post-secondary institution attended, directly from the institution(s) to GFC MSU.

CANADIAN STUDENTS must provide a SAT, ACT or COMPASS scores and English proficiency if English is not your primary language.

5. Physical Examination & Medical Insurance 

Physical Examination
All students entering GFC MSU are required to have a record of a recent physical examination showing a physician-validated immunization record for two measles, two mumps, two rubella, diphtheria, tetanus and skin testing for tuberculosis.

The Physical Exam and Health History Form must be on file before the student will be permitted to register for classes. The physical examination is to be performed by a personal physician in the student's home country (an English translation must be provided) or in the U.S.  Examinations in the U.S. cost approximately $75.  A Health History Form will be sent to you upon receipt of your application.

The HEALTH HISTORY FORM is available to download and print in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.  

Medical Insurance
All MSU students are required to have health insurance. If you do not already have a provider for health insurance, the College does offer a student policy. For additional information on health insurance and the policy provided to students, please see GFC MSU Student Health Insurance.

I-20 Form or DS-2019 Form & Visa Application 
Upon final acceptance for admission to Montana State University, an I-20 form will be sent to the applicant. The I-20 is necessary for obtaining an F-1 student visa or for legal transfer from another institution in the U.S.. Exchange Visitor Program participants need an DS-2019 form to obtain a J-1 visa. For students who will enroll in a later term, a new I-20 will be sent by MSU to the student upon final acceptance to the new term.

Students must attend the school named on the certificate of eligibility presented at the United States port of entry. The I-20 is an important document that must be retained by the student for later endorsement by the Foreign Student Advisor and for future reentries into the U.S. For J-1 visa students the form DS-2019 must be endorsed for reentry into the U.S. Students who will leave the U.S. and return to MSU need to have the endorsement of the Foreign Student Advisor in order to show that they are students in good standing and, therefore, permitted to continue their studies at the University.

Students present their passport, Form I-20 or DS-2019 and entry permit (I-94 card) at the Office of International Programs upon arrival at Montana State University. Copies of documents must be kept on file according to immigration regulations. Helpful Instructions.

Visa Application
International students must appear before a United States Consulate in order to secure an F-1 student visa. In order to set a visa appointment the SEVIS fee must first be paid. The following items must be presented: Form I-20 (certificate of eligibility issued by Montana State University), a valid passport, proof of sufficient financial support and proof of payment of SEVIS fee. Form I-20 is also used to obtain F-2 visas for dependents and proof of marriage is necessary in order to obtain a visa for the dependent spouse. Students are encouraged to apply for a visa as early as possible in the 90 day period prior to the study program start date.

Exchange Visitor Program participants entering the United States on the J-1 visa should follow the above procedures, but must submit the Form DS-2019, issued by the sponsor, instead of the Form I-20.

Students with F-1 status who are transferring from an educational institution in the United States should consult with the international student advisor at their present school for instructions on the Immigration Service's transfer process. This should be done as early as possible to avoid any difficulties.

Here are 10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Non-Immigrant Visa. 

Financial Capability & Fees 
All students with non-immigrant visas must provide certification of financial support for the time period that they will be enrolled at GFC MSU. Admission cannot be considered until the International Student Financial Certificate on the Application form is signed by the student's sponsor along with a bank statement. The Financial Certificate guarantees that the required minimum funds, in U.S. dollars, will be available to the student during the academic year. Applicants must also plan to meet expenses for subsequent years of study.

Financial assistance to international undergraduate students is not generally available. 

Successful applicants will need approximately $10,000 at the beginning of each semester for registration and payment of fees, housing, insurance, and book purchases. Married students who plan to bring their spouse and children should plan on additional yearly expenses of at least $8,000 for a spouse and $5,000 per child.

Holders of the F-1 student visa may work at jobs on campus providing their employment does not displace a U.S. citizen. This work generally pays minimum wage and is limited to 20 hours per week while classes are in session (40 hours during vacation periods and summer). Employment of this type is not guaranteed. F-2 visa holders (spouses) may not work under any circumstances. Off-campus employment is limited to practical training in a position that relates closely to the student's program of study. Practical training cannot start until after the first nine months of an academic program and many regulations apply. For clarification of employment regulations, contact the Foreign Student Advisor upon arrival.

Contact Information:

Admissions & Records

2100 16th Ave South
Great Falls, MT 59405

Tel: 406-268-3700
Fax: 406-771-2267
Toll Free: 800-446-2698


Enrollment Specialist

Laramie Smovir

Administrative Associate II

Kimberly Blaine

Admissions Evaluator ll

Andrea Fossen